Between the Park of Glory near the square of the same name and the Palace the Dniprovskyi descent starts, which leads us to the Naberezhnoe highway. And nearby a metal delicate footbridge is hung over.
It fits very harmoniously into the landscape design and opens from the square an unforgettable panorama of the Dnieper River, Left Bank and Brovarsky Avenue. The Bridge is an excellent observation platform, from which the left bank of the Dnieper is easily visible.
Back in the early twentieth century the centre of Kiev was separated from the Dnieper by a huge mountain, the suburbs of which were called Proval’e. To get to a small street Kozlovskaya behind the mountain to a free children’s hospital, it was necessary to pass the Askold’s grave from the Dnieper descent.
The Area had been dangerously criminal before the City Council did not put the question to provide the residents of Kiev an opportunity to get directly to the Dnieper River from the city centre not through Pechersk or Podol.
In 1912, an alley was built through the park and over it a delicate metal bridge was thrown (a master’s thesis of Paton), which earned the reputation as the most romantic bridge in Kiev. The bridge was chosen not only by lovers but also by suicides. It did not help even the introduction of next to the bridge position of a policeman. The people called it “The Devil’s Bridge.”
Today, the bridge has connected the Pioneer Park with Pervomaiskii. Before the revolution, most likely, the Parks were called the Tsar’s garden, and Merchants’ one. The Bridge hangs over Peter’s alley and is the first park bridge in Kiev, which has its own original story of creation.
Eugen Paton suggested an unusual solution – the bridge was first built, and then dropped on concrete supports. Earth mass was removed from under the already installed bridge. This is a rare phenomenon in the history of world practice.
A delicate light bridge, which still gives the opportunity to admire the wonderful panorama of the urban landscape continues to be popular among all lovers and earned another title – “The Bridge of kisses.”
Address: Kiev, the Glory square (Ivan Mazepa) (Underground Arsenalna)
The location of the bridge: over the street “The glory Square”
Construction starting date: 1912
Opening Date: 1912
Length: not specified
Width: not specified
From the subway “Arsenalna” pass on the street January Uprising (Hetman Mazepa Ivan) to the park of Eternal Glory, where from the Palace of Pioneers you will see the bridge through which you can go to the park