Tourist, cultural Kiev
- Center of Kiev
- Darnitskiy district
- Desnyanskiy district
- Dneprovskij district
- Goloseevskiy district
- Obolonskyi district
- Pecherskiy district
- Podolski district
- Shevchenkiy district
- Solomenskyi district
The construction of this world’s first all-welded bridge, 1,543 meters long, began in 1940, but the war intervened to realize the project.
The motion of the bridge started on November 5, 1953. Design and construction was made by an academic Paton, who hadn’t lived only a few months before the opening of his brainchild. In Paton’s remembering the bridge was entitled by him. Paton Bridge is one of the largest in Europe.
For the first time in the world main beams were mounted with electric welding instead of rivets. Now this method is widely used around the world. The bridge has a huge reserve of strength and withstand a load of nearly 70,000 vehicles per day.
For a long time it had been the only road bridge in Kiev. It carried major tram line. After reconstruction in 2004, streetcar tracks were removed, which caused an outburst of indignation among residents of Kiev. The present-day trolley line is not able to take on former tram passengers. Recently, the information has appeared concerning plans to return the tram line to the Paton bridge.
Kievavtodor says that work will begin in November and will end next month. Motion across the bridge at this time will be limited by the need to support completion of the wall. Tunnel between the Dnieper and Rusanovskaya embankments have been already finished, and decorating works have already started there.
From the Paton bridge an irresistible views on the Lavra Cave Monastery, the Motherland Monument, and other monuments of the right bank of Kiev are offered.
The official name of the bridge: A bridge named after Paton (Paton bridge)
Address: Kyiv, boulevard Druzhby Narodov of (Underground station Druzhby Narodov)
The location of the bridge: on the Dnieper river
Construction starting date: 1940
Opening Date: November 5, 1953
Length: 1543 m
Width: not specified
From the underground Druzhby Narodov along the boulevard Druzhby Narodov on any vehicle in the direction to Darnitsa and in the opposite direction