It was mentioned in Bulgakov’s works. Its story can be read from different sources, evidences of different ages, which today have a very poor condition.
Petrovsky Railway Bridge was being built in 1915-1917 and had the same name with the royal palace – the Mariinsky. With its opening in January 1917, the bridge was named after the wife of Alexander III, the Empress Maria Feodorovna, who had been living in Kiev for two years.
According to some reports, in 1920 the bridge was blown up by retreating White Guards, and in 1929 it had already operated. At the same time it was named Petrovsky, in accordance with the pre-war name of Podol (Petrovsky district). Two years later, when severe floods had inundated villages on the Left Bank and Trukhanov Island, a mound near the bridge had been broken by the flood, the station Kiev- Petrovka was flooded.
In 1941, when the Red Army retreated over the Dnieper, the bridge was blown up again. Only after the victory in 1945, its recovering started.
Originally the bridge had one track of electrified railway. By sparing the load it is used for infrequent freight and commuting trains’ movement. 30 years ago, the movement of trains through it was offered to close in favour of cars. But due to lack of access roads to the bridge the project was uneconomic and was abandoned.
The bridge completes the Electricians street and is laid across the Dnieper River in the direction of the Left Bank to the area Rusanovsky and Voskresensky Gardens.
Address: Kiev, crossing the street Trukhanovskaya on the left side, parallel to the Electricians street on the right bank (Petrovka underground station)
The location of the bridge: on the Dnieper river
Construction starting date: 1915
Opening Date: 1917, 1929
Length: not indicated
Width: not indicated
From the underground station Petrovka along the street side in direction to Raiduzhnyi district.
From Rusanivka and Voskresenka go parallel to Cheremshina street toward the right bank of Kiev.