Tourist, cultural Kiev
- Center of Kiev
- Darnitskiy district
- Desnyanskiy district
- Dneprovskij district
- Goloseevskiy district
- Obolonskyi district
- Pecherskiy district
- Podolski district
- Shevchenkiy district
- Solomenskyi district
The Museum of Mikhail Bulgakov is now only one in the world
Mikhail Bulgakov is the greatest writer, whose works are read by several generations, his books have been translated into various languages of the peoples, he has tens of thousands of admirers around the world, but a museum dedicated to this writer and his work is only one – and it is in Kiev.
«CultKiev» offers a plunge into the world of the great master, visiting the memorial and museum of literature on Andrew’s descent.
ABOUT THE MUSEUM AND THE TEA PARTY On the summer terrace from spring to autumn:
Literary Memorial Museum of Mikhail Bulgakov’s is in one of the most popular streets of Kiev – the Andrew’s descent. The House number is 13. It was this house where from 1909 to 1916, a great writer’s family lived.
Bulgakov lived in seven-room apartment number 2, where in addition to the four living rooms there was a medical room, living room and dining room. Description of the last three rooms are exactly the premises described in the work of Bulgakov “The White Guard”.
A decision of the museum creation was taken in 1898, but it opened its doors four years later. The idea of the museum’s original the items in the house are available in two colours: the original effects and articles of white. Thus, it was decided to emphasize the contact between two worlds – real and described in his novel “The White Guard “. The space of family room is filled with items of Bulgakov’s and Turbine’s, while things of a family from the novel are made in white, like shadows. Once in this interior, you can look at the life of Bulgakov’s and Turbine’s. This concept came up with Kira Nikolaevna Pitoeva-Leader (now a head of the research sector of the museum). Visiting the museum you can see the personal things of Mikhail Bulgakov, which were collected by «every little helps”.
The building was restored (an architect Irina Magomedovna Malakova), the layout of rooms was returned, which used to be during living of a Bulgakov’s family, as well as some of the interior of the apartment, which survived were restored.
Many personal belongings of the Master were given by his wives, nieces, relatives and family who were friends with Michael Afanasyevitch. Not only friends and relatives of the writer helped to create the exposition, many patrons have transferred money for the development of the museum.
Today, the museum presents an exhibit of more than 2800, among them more than 500 are original, and they belonged to the writer. A distinctive feature of the museum is the lack of guides.
The museum staff is celebrating Children’s Christmas and Easter, which is performed according to the traditions of Bulgakov’s family. A celebration of the birthday of Michael Afanasevich always runs with a family atmosphere, when reading passages of his writings, as well as scientists speaking with reports devoted to the life and work of this writer.
Another tradition: on the 13th of every month, the receptions day are held which were spent at the house of Mikhail Bulgakov.
And the most interesting: in the warm season, the museum staff is invited to “Bulgakov” tea party on the summer terrace.
A desire ROOM in the museum of Bulgakov:
Another mystery of the “House of Turbins’” is a Room of desires, which appeared in the” valley “between the house № 13 of Mikhail Bulgakov and the house number 11 on Andrew’s Descent. This room is created within the charity, which aims to help to collect enough money to develop the museum named after Mikhail Bulgakov. Anyone can visit the “room” being on weekends and holidays, as well as on weekdays, but by appointment only.
THE BIOGRAPHY OF MIKHAIL BULGAKOV:
Mikhail Bulgakov was born May 15, 1981 in Kiev. The family of this writer is from the town Orel. That’s where his ancestors lived, and one of his ancestors bore the name of Turbin. The family of Michael had seven children, he was the first child. The first work the author wrote when he was seven.
The Future Master graduated from high school, and then went to study at the University of Kiev, the Faculty of Medicine. After graduating from the university he had medical practice in the south-western front, working in hospitals of the Red Cross. In 1919 he was sent to the North Caucasus as a military surgeon.
In 1921 he moved to live in Moscow. Here Bulgakov began working as an entertainer in the theatre, and after working as a journalist in newspapers, led a chronicling column. In 1921, the newspaper “Nakanune” released the publication of his short stories and “Notes on the cuffs.”
In 1925 he published the novel “The White Guard”, which attracted the attention to the author. Some people criticized him for trying to show compassion for this political force.
A year later, the author wrote the play based on the “White Guard”, called it “The Days of Turbins’” and put it in the theatre, but after 289-second presentation it was banned, but Bulgakov went under repression, the apartment was examined and valuable manuscripts were withdrawn.
Bulgakov did several attempts to put the plays after his works, but after a few representations they were banned. So the play “Running” was banned at a stage of a rehearsal, and “Kabala of Hypocrites” did not reach even the rehearsal. In 1930, Michael Afanasyevich becomes a director at the Moscow Art Theatre, as well as trying his hand as an actor.
March 10, 1940 Mikhail Bulgakov Afanasyevich passed way.
After the death of the author the immortal work “The Master and Margarita”, which made him popular was published. This product is presented on the major theatre venues of post-Soviet space, films are made after it, some of us re-read it dozen times, and some – consider it unworthy of attention. Anyway, the real master was, is and will remain – Mikhail Afanasyevich Bulgakov.
Address: Andrew’s Descent, 13.
Tel: +38 (044) 425-52-54
Antwerp parking – Parking lots
Parking in Louvain – Find parking
Parking in Namur – Namur car garages