One of the church records states that it was built in 1011 by Prince Vlolodymyr. But documentary evidence is dated 1520 and 1564 years. The church is famous by the fact that on 6 and 7 May 1861 the coffin of the Great Kobzar(poet) of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko, stood there.
This church with a dome was depicted on the city-plan of Kyiv in 1695. After a fire of 1717 it was quickly restored, but it has served not for a long time. In 1744 it was decided to erect a church on a stone foundation. The construction was completed in 1783. After that the building quickly deteriorated and was again in emergency condition. Moreover, the wooden building has no longer fit into the architectural ensemble of Kyiv of an early nineteenth century. As a result, the building has been demolished. From 1808 to 1814 the church was rebuilt again by Melensky.
The relocation and installation of miraculously survived five-story baroque carved wooden iconostasis of the burned Spaska Church has become the main event. Later, the warm Sergey Radonezhsky’s Church has been built as an annex for winter worship. The beginning of the twentieth century was marked by the construction of the west vestibule, vestry and a sacristan room.
In 1930 the church was demolished. But in 1997 the restoration resumed (due to Andrew Melensky’s drawings and photos). And on 19 January 2004 the Church on the Poshtova Ploshcha was opened, and on 14 January 2005 it was consecrated.
An octagonal brick church with a rectangular two-tier western bell tower and from the east side – a semicircular conch and an octagonal space inside. The northern and southern parts of the church was decorated with the Ports of Ionic order and the belfry was covered with a semi-circular dome with a thin spire
The additional information:
The address: Kyiv, Petro Sagaydachny st, 2
How to get there:
By subway, “Poshtova Ploshcha”.
Graz parking – Parking guide
Parking in Vienna – Garage rental
Parking in Innsbruck – Parking spots