On the streets of the capital of Ukraine you can see an extremely interesting and original architect objects as well as monuments and sculptures. And a freight locomotive is one of them. It is situated not far from The Kyiv National Polytechnic Institute.
A LOCOMOTIVE, WHICH IS NICKNAMED “THE LAMB”
The serial production of locomotives was launched in 1890. In the period of 1890-1915 years more than 9,000 of these engines were produced. During this time Russia’s first railway locomotive steam engine became a major tool in the rail park of Russia. A mass production of locomotives encouraged the rapid spread of these transport on the railways of the Russian Empire and later the Soviet Union. The locomotive OV was the basis military trains involved in the Civil War.
However, the locomotives of M(main)series is not only the first Russian locomotive as it harmoniously combines all the advanced ideas of engineering at that time. With the development of transportation the flow of cargo and passenger traffic increased on highways in Russia. This required to increase the power of draught trains , which implies an increase of weight of the locomotive. However, the engineers of that time faced such a problem that when the load on the rails increased, it would have led to their rapid deterioration and could lead to disastrous consequences on the railway. They had a difficult task to resolve, which was to create a powerful economic engine with a small load on the rails. But with the help of genius engineering solutions designers managed to increase the efficiency of the engine. These activities helped to increase its efficiency, but the power still was not enough. The scientists estimated that when the capacity is improved, it would increase the weight of the engine, in any case, which is undesirable for the reason indicated above.
So, in 1889 the famous engineer V. Lopushinsky proposed to change the wheel formula of the locomotive. He claimed that the freight didn’t need the so-called runner( supporting) wheels; the whole load and draft power shifted on the driving wheels. This formula indeed increased engine power, but fuel consumption grew essentially.
During several years scientists and engineers have been made 99 changes in the design of the locomotive, until finally ideal of the time in power, weight and fuel consumption had been achieved. The locomotive of M series became a symbol of that epoch. The simple, reliable and foolproof design contributed to a prolonged period of the machine operation . Moreover, the thousands of railwaymen fell in love with it.
Not far from the legendary locomotive another symbol of the era – MI-8 helicopter is located.
In the early 60-ies of XX century the first multi-purpose Soviet Mi-8 (according to NATO classification – the product number 80) was developed. The helicopter has a long list of various records and achievements. One of them is MI-8 – the most popular twin-engine helicopter in the world. Today, the helicopter is involved in resolving of almost all kinds of problems – ranging from military and saving operations to agricultural works. More than 50 countries have MI-8 helicopter in theirs fleet. Since 1991the modernized and improved version of the Mi-8AMT has been produced.
The helicopter is designed according to a single-rotor scheme with a tricycle landing gear and the tail rotor. The fuselage of the helicopter assembled due to a framing scheme and consists of the central and nasal parts as well as the end and the tail beams. The stabilizer’s size is 2,7 m with a fabric covering and a set of ribs built on the single-spar design.
The power-plant of MI-8 consists of two turboshaft engine with a free turbine. The chassis of a helicopter – are fixed landing, tricycle. The design also includes two screws – main and tail. The fuel system consists of three tanks – consumable (10000445 liters), the right outboard (680 liters) and left hanging ( 745 liters).
A machine gun 7,62 mm or 12,7 mm caliber is a main weapon on helicopters MI-8. Also the containers with cannons or machine guns are suspended on the pylons.
THE T-34 TANK
If you go a little bit further, you will find another legendary symbol of The Great World War – T-34 tank.
T-34 is a medium tank, the production of the Soviet Union. Serial production started in 1940 and since 1942 a tank has remained the main shock tool of the Red Army.
The main feature of the tank was its unlimited resources to modernize and improve. This factor helped it to be on service for a long time. Simplicity of design and maintainability of the tank have given him another advantage – a big survivability and reliability.
T-34 tank manifested itself in all its glory in the Battle of Kursk. Later it also has showed the best quality in many parts of the world.
All these wonders of technology you can see in the territory of NTU “KPI” – Kyiv Polytechnic Institute. They are situated not far from Znannya(Knowledge) Square, between the central and the seventh university buildings – the “Lamb” locomotive, T-34 and MI-8 helicopter.
Aachen parking – secure parking in Aachen
Bielefeld parking – parking spots in Bielefeld
Bochum parking – park and go in Bochum