Even before the Great Patriotic War, in 1936 a rail tunnel under the Dnieper began to be built in Kiev.
Its construction was made in an atmosphere of secrecy. The aim of the Stalinist government in 1929 was the construction of the Kiev fortified area, which was supposed to be the most powerful in the entire line of Stalin from the Black Sea to the Baltic Sea. Despite the 65-kilometer chain of bunkers and well-camouflaged artificial water reservoirs with a 5-kilometer depth, the fortified area had its own vulnerabilities – two bridges across the Dnieper River with the railroad could be easily destroyed by air attacks and thus prevent the supply of ammunition and completing parts involved in the defence of Kiev.
The construction of two tunnels at once would allow supplying the city without being fired upon. Before the war, they managed to run about 10% of works: 1 km of coastal tunnels and 600 meters of work under the Dnieper, heat station was commissioned in the area of the railway station, which operates to this day.
It was planned to build two tunnels: the first – in area from Obolon to Troeschena-Vygurevschina, the second – from Zhukov island to Osokorki.
The summer of 1941 broke all the plans, tunnels were immediately mothballed, and technology was exported. After the liberation of Ukraine in 1944, the construction was tried to resume, but the country needed dealing with more pressing problems.
But after the invention of a nuclear bomb the need in the tunnels simply disappeared. With the try in the 90 years to get to the tunnel it turned out that the entrances to them were either concreted or covered with construction waste. This has generated a lot of myths about the composition of the technique, an armoured train, settled builders, etc. Surely, nobody knows anything, and construction can stand even half a century, puzzling our descendants with the same issues as us.
Address: Kiev, Obolon and Zhukov Island
The location of the bridge: at the Dnieper
Construction starting date: 1936
Opening Date: was planned to open in 1944
Length: 600 m
Width: not specified